tisdag 1 oktober 2013

Greetings

I'm a Swedish student in game design and -programming at Uppsala University, Campus Gotland. Last year I finished a one year course of "Game Design" at Ädelfors Public College. I was inspired to continue my studies and work in the field and Campus Gotland seems like great place for just that.

I've spent the first five weeks of the program's first two courses:  
"Game Analysis and Game Design - an Introduction" and "Written and spoken communication".

Here are my experiences so far:

Game Analysis and Game Design - an Introduction

The main reason I came here was to get more opportunities to make games and get more experience. But apparently since Gotland University got merged with Uppsala University, there needs to be a certain amount of theoretical studies and research in every program and course.
That's exactly what we've been up to so far. Not so much research per say, but definitely a lot of theoretical study.

I'm not exactly complaining, the course and its studies fills an important purpose for all the aspiring game developers here (me included I hope). Not to mention that the course literature are interesting to read and well written by one of our guest teachers: Ernst Adams. He's made a name for himself in both game development and -education and it definitely shows during his lectures.

There was of course two short and easy assignments, but s**t got real recently when Adam Mayes (brilliant teacher) announced the course's main assignment.
A full fledged concept document, that we'll have five weeks to complete. I heard most of my fellow students gasp and swallow in terror for this seemingly huge project they were about to undertake. As for me, I'm really looking forward to it. This is what I came here for. Although there won't be (much) production involved, I can finally start designing "proper" games.
However, I'm not fond of the amount "professionalism" and marketing strategy that Adam put an emphasis on the assignment. I definitely understand that it's very important, but this early for the first year students? Most of them are fresh out of high school and we're asked to act as professionals after five weeks.
Either way like I said, I'm really looking forward to get to work.

Written and spoken communication

This course is mainly to help us write papers and make vocal presentations like proper academic students. It's been going really well so far. The lectures gives invaluable advice and the seminars allows us to make use of them.
The assignments feels almost too easy (which doesn't bode well for me).

The state of my group however bothers me. We never seem to have enough time to finish the obligatory critique on some of our members' written assignments during the seminars. The solution would be to finish them outside the seminars and that's where the problem lies. There never seems to be any proper communication in our group. The only means seems to be through a Facebook Group, but most of my group members aren't very active there and never upload their assignments even though they've agreed on doing so on multiple occasions. I've reminded every chance I got, but to no avail.
I'm worried that my group members might be lagging behind on the assignments because of this.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar